Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Friday Night Lights Feature - Trinity Valley School Twirler

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

Happy November! How are we already here? The football season is winding down, and the competition season is about to start. Just a few more twirlers left to feature, including this excellent young lady! 

This week’s Friday Night Lights Feature is the Trinity Valley School Twirler!

Trinity Valley School is a PK-12 co-ed independent school in Fort Worth, Texas. It is also the home of Trojans, and today’s featured twirler, Chelsea Morrow!


Twirling is something special for TVS as they don’t have a typical band program, so her process to twirl there wasn’t typical as well. As Chelsea told us, “There really isn’t an audition process at TVS because this is still a somewhat new program to them, and I am the only twirler.”

There are many great things about attending school at TVS, but Chelsea says it is definitely the staff that makes it what it is. “My favorite thing about TVS is our administration. They are very inclusive and willing to make accommodations for sports/travel.” 


Game Days are always super fun and Chelsea loves cheering on her Trojans, but her favorite school tradition is called Gump Day. “Gump day is our Halloween celebration named after Mrs. Gump, who loved Halloween. We have a costume parade and a party.”

Junior year is an important one at TVS, and Chelsea has been looking forward to the Junior TOE trip for years! “A TOE trip is a trojan outdoor experience. For juniors, this is a 3-day retreat to prepare us for the college application process.”

Now that we have learned more about life at TVS, let’s learn more about Chelsea! 

Chelsea Morrow,
Junior
Competition Level: Advanced

Chelsea has been twirling for 13 years and is coached by Vicki Ray of the Vick’s Chicks. The competition title she is the proudest of was when she won All American Girl Modeling at AYOP one year. Her favorite field trick is anything with fire baton or a firebird leap. In baton twirling, she has been inspired most by former Vanderbilt University Feature Twirler, and Vick’s Chick’s teammate, Haylee Castagna. After High School, Chelsea plans to attend nursing school and hopefully travel. 





Fun Facts!
  • Favorite Color – Blue
  • Favorite TV Show – “Doctor Who”
  • Favorite Book – “Turtles All The Way Down” by John Green
  • Favorite Food – Ramen noodles 

Favorite Quote…
“I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.” - Kurt Cobain

When she is not twirling, she loves to… 

“Participate in technical theater, specifically set design.”

Something people might not know about her is…
“I occasionally go hunting on the weekends with my dad.”


The best non-twirling life skill she has gained from baton twirling is…
“Twirling taught me kindness and appreciation goes over everything.”

Most Memorable Advice from her Coach…
“I am an example for many younger kids and my attitude matters. I never really saw this until I started twirling at football games. After performances, little girls run up to me and ask me a ton of questions like ‘How do you do it?’ and ‘Where did you learn that?’. My answer is almost always the same, ‘I learned it with a good coach and a lot of practice.’”

Advice To Future Twirlers…

“Come up with a practice system that you like and try your best to stick to it.” 

Favorite Memory as a Baton Twirler…
“My favorite twirling memory is nationals with Diana Garcia (another feature twirler). Mrs. Vicki decided to take us to nationals together, and we had an absolute blast. From getting dip and dots to watching twilight and eating fries on collegiate day, we did it all.”


Funniest Memory as a Baton Twirler…

“My all-time funniest twirling memory is from twirling camp last year. Mrs. Vicki decided we were going to have a reward system for camp and the prizes were these little stuffed worms. All weekend I tried so hard to get my stuffed worm. Finally, in the last hour of camp we did awards and Mrs. Vicki gave me my worm. She leaned over to me and whispered, ‘I think I know how to keep you motivated’.”
 
Favorite thing about marching season… 
“My school actually doesn’t have a band, but we have a great drumline.”
 
Favorite Tradition with the drumline… 

“Our drumline loves to dance to cotton eye joe basically every game, but they will dance to pretty much anything!”

What she will miss the most when football season is over…

“I’ll miss the sense of community that our school builds every season.” 

We want to thank Chelsea for sharing what she could of a TVS Game Day, and we wish her a great rest of the season, as well as a great time on her Junior trip! 


We hope you have enjoyed this blog post. We are always looking for great new stories about Texas twirlers. Do you have an idea or some information we could use to help highlight our sport? Contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com and we would love to hear more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment