Thursday, November 3, 2022

Collegiate Twirler Spotlight - Tyler Junior College Feature Twirlers

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

It is amazing how fast this season has gone. We are only 12 days away from the entry deadline for the ATX Holiday Twirl Fest (visit ATX Holiday Twirl Fest for more details), and 16 days away from the first NBTA Texas contest of the season. We also cannot believe that today we are meeting one of our last few collegiate twirlers for this Fall.

This week’s Collegiate Twirler Spotlight is the Tyler Junior College Feature Twirlers!


Tyler Junior College, also known at TJC, is located in Tyler, Texas, and is the home of the Apaches. It also home of the TJC Touch of Gold, and a great history of wonderful Feature Twirlers! This year there are two Feature Twirlers rocking the black and gold at TJC - Avery Prnka and Jacquline Weisinger!

We asked what brought them to TJC, and Avery told us it felt like the right fit. “I chose this college because from my very first game day experience I fell in love with the atmosphere the band provides and the how wonderful the directors were!” Jacqueline also mentioned the benefits of attending TJC were an added bonus. “They offered a great scholarship opportunity, and they have a great campus life.”

In order to audition for the position, Jacquline told us, “The audition process included a video submission, followed by an in person solo performance, an improvised performance, and an interview.” But the process was worth, as Avery told us, because “Once you make it the spot is yours, and there is a scholarship that comes with the position.”


There are so many wonderful aspects to being an Apache. Avery loves the tight knit community. "My favorite thing about our school is the close connections you are able to develop with everyone. I also love how all the staff and professors are genuine.” Jacqueline felt the same connection, and added, that she "loves how many clubs and organizations TJC has. There is a place for everyone!"

Earning their twirling position has been everything they hoped it would be, and Avery especially enjoys the difference in college vs high school twirling. “I love getting to showcase myself and show what kind of twirler I am on the college field. In college you get the opportunity to showcase your skills and what kind of twirler you are. I love having fun and making the audience see my joy and that’s exactly what I’m getting to do!” 

Now that we have learned more about becoming a TJC Apache, lets learn more about the twirlers!
 
Avery Prnka
Avery is a freshman from Joaquin, Texas, that is majoring in Dental Hygiene. She has been twirling for 8 years and competes at the Intermediate level. Avery is coached individually by Beth Maddox from Heart of Texas Twirling and is instructed at TJC by their director Jenna Hamill. The competition title she is the proudest of earning was when she was named Outstanding Performance of the Day at SWTA. Her favorite competition trick is a toss illusion, and her favorite field trick is a toss layback or toss leaps. In baton twirling, Avery has been most inspired by former Baylor & UT Feature Twirler Caroline Carothers, and current Ole Miss Feature Twirler, Alexa Tamburlin. After college, Avery hopes to land a good job in her career field closer to home.



Jacquline Weisinger
Jacquline is a freshman from Van, Texas, that is majoring in Elementary Education. She has been twirling for seven years, and currently works with TJC coach, Jenna Hamill. Her favorite competition routine is three baton, and her favorite field trick is a leap forward roll and one spin illusions. In baton twirling, she has been most inspired by former Baylor & UT Feature Twirler, Caroline Carothers. At TJC, in addition to being a Feature Twirler, she is also a TJC ambassador and gives campus tours. After college, Jacquline hopes to teach kindergarten children.

 



Fun Facts!
  • Favorite Color – Pink (Avery & Jacquline)
  • Favorite TV Show – “Dancing with the Stars” (Avery), “Pretty Little Liars” (Jacquline)
  • Favorite Book – “Reminders of Him” by Colleen Hoover (Avery)
  • Favorite Food – Chicken Parmesan (Avery), Cheese Pizza (Jacquline)

Favorite Quote/Life Motto…
  • Avery - “Perhaps this is the moment for which you were created for.” Esther 4:14

When they are not twirling, they love to…
  • Avery – “Spend time with family and friends, read, travel a lot!”
  • Jacquline – “Watch movies and eat popcorn!”

Something people might not know about them is…
  • Avery – “I am obsessed with everything Disney related!”
  • Jacquline – “I am a vegetarian.”


The best non-twirling life skill she has gained from baton twirling is…
  • Avery – “Persevere through everything in life no matter what the challenge may be.”
  • Jacquline – “To not give up no matter how hard it may seem in the moment.”

Most Memorable Advice from your Coach…
  • Avery – “The most memorable advice I have received is it’s not about what you do it’s how you do it. It’s supposed to be fun and make the crowd enjoy what you’re doing!”
  • Jacquline – “Practice even when you don’t want to.”

Advice to Future Twirlers…
  • Avery – “Focus on a skill until you get it don’t give up because it definitely will come the more you work for it. Give yourself mental breaks because they are needed but keep working hard!”

Favorite Memory as a Baton Twirler…
  • Avery – “I think my favorite memory is taking the field for the first time as a college feature twirler. I had the joy of my dream coming true and seeing my families faces light up in the stands watching me made my heart so so happy!”
  • Jacquline – “All my football games and dancing in the stands.”



Funniest Memory as a Baton Twirler…
  • Avery – “I think the funniest memory is in high school I was on the field and I started my show and as the band members would pass they would be like “Is that Avery?” as I was twirling and I couldn’t help but laugh.”
  • Jacquline – “In junior high I chunked my baton way too far!”

Best advice for a twirler about to go into college auditions…
  • Avery – “Stay calm and remember that you’ve worked so hard for this moment and that you are so capable of what you’re about to do. I think keep a positive attitude and know that if this doesn’t work out there’s a bigger door ahead of you that you haven’t seen yet.”
  • Jacquline – “Just smile and have fun! This is what you have practiced for!”

Why they chose to attend school in state...
  • Avery – “I stayed in Texas for college because I come from a very close-knit family and I knew I couldn’t step away from that completely. I also loved my college and knew this was home for me. The best part is still having all the things Texas offers. I get to go home about every weekend which I’m super thankful for. If I have a game my family is always there so it all works out wonderfully!” 



Favorite School Wide or Game Day Tradition…
  • Avery – “I am excited to experience all the homecoming traditions coming soon!”
  • Jacquline – “My favorite school tradition is beating the drum for homecoming.”

Favorite Tradition within the band program…
  • Avery – “One of my favorite jokes was when me and the other feature got placed in the trumpet circle before pregame and we were their sacrifice. As silly as it sounds it was so funny!”
  • Jacquline – “My favorite band tradition is rim march where the band and belles march around the stadium.”

Thi year, they are most looking forward to…
  • Avery – “I am looking forward to getting to experience homecoming here at TJC.”
  • Jacquline – “I’m looking forward to the Christmas parade this year.” 

We want to thank Avery and Jacquline for sharing their Game Day with us! It was so much fun to see what their experience is like at TJC, and we wish them a great rest of their season! Go Apaches!


We hope you have enjoyed this blog post. We are always looking for great new stories about Texas twirlers. Do you have an idea or some information we could use to help highlight our sport? Contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com and we would love to hear more about it. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment