Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Collegiate Twirler Spotlight - Texas State University

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

These Collegiate Twirler Spotlights and the Friday Night Light Features are some of my favorite posts to do as we all love learning more about our amazing Texas Twirlers.

Each season this blog likes to get to know some of these awesome twirlers a little better by learning about them and their experiences. We will be meeting a new High School twirler each Friday through the season with the Friday Night Lights Features, and discovering more about our Texas Collegians with the Collegiate Twirler Spotlights during the week.

This week's Collegiate Twirler Spotlight is with the Texas State University Feature Twirlers!


It was such a pleasure to talk to the Bobcat Feature Twirlers, Kaylee Williams and Megan Lazrine! These two young ladies are so much fun to watch twirl, and they are just sweethearts. This week we had a special introduction to our collegians as they not only took over the @twirlingiscatchingtx Insta-Story, but we were also able to broadcasting a part of the interview LIVE on our Twirling is Catching - Texas Edition Blog Facebook Page from the sidelines. Check it out here!


In the live interview, they told us about what their Game Day schedule is like, the best part of Game Day, and their favorite thing about being a Bobcat (make sure to watch the video for their answers)! We also asked them what the best school traditions are, and as Megan said it, “ya girl loves her gang(hand) signs”. Kaylee agreed, and explained their hand signs. “Our left hand represents the state of Texas for TXST and our right hand is a paw for our mascot, a Bobcat! Having two hand signs is really unique!”

Part of being a Bobcat Feature Twirler means being a part of the BMB, or Bobcat Marching Band, also known as the "Most Dangerous Band in the South". This past weekend was very special as it kicked off the 100th Anniversary Celebration of the Bobcat Marching Band with the first Home Game of the season. The halftime performance included not only the 300 members of the BMB, but also the 200+ members of the Bobcat Alumni Band marching right alongside the Collegiate Members. It was such a fun show to watch over 500 Bobcats all on the same field playing and performing together.

Being part of a program with such a rich history, we had to ask them about their favorite BMB tradition. Kaylee told us that “At the end of ‘Hell Week’ (the last week of summer band) the whole Bobcat Marching Band walks over to the river and jump in to cool off!” We bet that was very welcomed after this crazy hot summer. Megan also enjoyed a band camp tradition. “During preseason camp we always do a rookies vs veterans challenge with who can scream the fight song the loudest. It’s super fun and a neat way for us freshman to learn the fight song fast!”

Now that we have learned about their experiences as Bobcats and members of the BMB, let’s take some time to learn a little more about these young ladies individually...

Kaylee Williams
Competition Level: Advanced/Collegiate
Kaylee is from Whitehouse, Texas and is currently a sophomore working on a Computer Science Major and a Psychology Minor, and is also a University Ambassador and a member of the Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society. She has been twirling for 8 years and is coached by Janice Jackson Seamands and Shelby Elder. She is the most proud of placing Top Five in her National Pageant her first year attending. Kaylee's favorite trick is back neck rolls. In baton twirling, she has been most inspired by one of her coaches, and former SFA Feature twirler,  Shelby Elder. “She inspired me the most as I was going through high school. She was one of the reasons I wanted to become a Feature Twirler, and as my coach, helped me achieve that goal!”  After college she plans to continue her academic career and receive her Masters. Then, she hopes to become a UX Designer.


Megan Lazrine
Competition Level: Collegiate
Megan is from the West Columbia, Texas and is currently a Freshman and majoring in Entrepreneurial Management. She has been twirling since she was in first grade. She is a member of the Jana’s Gems and coached by Jana Reid. Megan's favorite competition trick is a toss roll into the splits, and her favorite field trick is anything with three baton. In baton twirling, she has been most inspired by several twirlers. “I love watching Michael Lopez twirl. He makes everything look so effortless! I also love Catherine Watters. Her style is definitely my type, and she is so fun to work with!” After College she wants to move back home and start a family, as well as help her mom run her restaurant and bakery. “Family has always been my number one. They have been my biggest supporters through everything and all I have wanted in life was a big family”.

Fun Facts!
Favorite Color = Maroon - “Eat Em Up” (Kaylee), Pink (Megan)
Favorite Movie = “The Heat, or honestly anything with Sabra Bullock” (Megan)
Favorite Music = “The band, The 1975” (Kaylee), “Tristan Marez is my all time favorite music artist” (Megan)

Favorite Quote…
  • Kaylee – “Always make your best better.” -Denny Whitley
  • Megan – “No one gets to tell you how big your dreams can be!” - Rachel Hollis. “This quote is my favorite because growing up I always felt scared to show my ambition and dreams with others. I was worried about what people would think and think I’m crazy, but when I read this it hit me so hard due to the fact that I’m the only one who can tell myself if I can achieve something or not. I want people to look at me when I’m older and do things in life and go “wow I didn’t know she was capable of that”.”

When they are not twirling they love to…
  • Kaylee – “Waych YouTube. I am subscribed to over 30 YouTubers!”
  • Megan – “Watch Netflix, take nice long naps (self care is the best) and play with my hamster, Arlo”

Something you might not know about them is…
  • Kaylee – “I played the flute, alto sax, and piccolo in HS, and also marched with the band!”
  • Megan – “I make the best iced coffee everrr (I'm kinda partial to it)”

Most Memorable Advice from their coach…
  • Kaylee – “There is no limit to your ability if you believe. Your determination to succeed is what will carry you the farthest when reaching your goals!”
  • Megan – “You can’t go into a contest expecting to win when all the other girls have put in hours upon hours of work. Practice. Practice. Practice.”

Favorite Twirling Moment...
  • Kaylee – “Feature Twirler at Texas State University for the first time was one of the best feelings after all the hard work that went into preparing to be a college twirler!”
  • Megan – “GETTING CHOSEN TO TWIRL AT TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY!”

Funniest Twirling Moment:
  • Kaylee – "At my first performance at TXST, we performed in front of the freshman class in 2018, and as I went to do a sling toss under my leg, a cameraman walked right in front of me! Luckily, my baton missed him by a couple of inches, but it was definitely a shocking moment!"
  • Megan – “Fun fact I have actually been on America’s Funniest Home Videos after wiping out. I always record myself when I practice alone so I can go back and critique myself and I just so happen to catch my fall on video.”

#1 Non-Twirling Life Skill they have learned from baton twirling…
  • Kaylee – “Communication skills. Twirling has allowed me to speak more confidently and easily to various amounts of people, through interview and being a representative for my university”
  • Megan – “How to prioritize the things that are important to you. When I was in high school I worked three jobs and for a while there I was struggling to make time for twirling, but it taught me what I have to do in order to be able to do the things I love even if it means 9:30 pm practices.”


We wanted to find out from Megan what it has been like as a freshman feature twirler experiencing her first game, especially since that was a big game between Texas State and Texas A&M at Kyle Field. “My first game as a college twirler was absolutely crazy. That’s literally the only way to describe it. And on Kyle Field of all places. Almost 100,000 people attended that game. It was CRAZY”.

We also wanted to know why she picked Texas State and how she feels about her choice now that she is a couple games into the season. “If you would have asked me two years ago where I was going to college I can guarantee you it wouldn’t have been Texas State, but after lots of heart to hearts with my supporters they pushed me to look more into Texas State, and man I’m so glad I did. When I went in to my tryouts and meet everyone it just felt like home and where I was meant to be.” It is an amazing feeling when you end up right where you are supposed to be, no matter the road that got you there.

Finally, we asked Megan how she prepared for a game day so that she can perform her best. “Before any performance of any type I always take a moment to pray and give it all to God. I realized after fighting all my nerves and anxiety for so long that there was literally nothing I could do at that point. You have trained so hard for this moment and you are prepared!! The only thing you can do at this point is do your best and let God do the rest."


Now, this season is the second season for Kaylee representing as a Bobcat Feature Twirler. We wanted to find out what she is most looking forward to this season and she told us, “I’m looking most forward to having more performances we have this year! The BMB is learning an additional show and is performing as a guest band at two marching contests!” That does sound like a lot of fun, and a great way to get twirling out there more in the community.

We also asked Kaylee what she has done different this season to improve on her experiences last year. “As this is my second-year twirling with the BMB, I am striving to add more ‘WOW’ to my performances and get the crowd more engaged during my routines!” What a great goal! Keep it up Kaylee.

To wrap up our interview, we wanted to know what advice these ladies wanted to share with future collegiate twirlers. Kaylee said to enjoy the experience. “Soak up every single moment as a college twirler, from injuries to your very best performance. Every single moment will be unique and will hold a special place in your heart after you graduate!” So true!

Megan wanted to pass along the message of believing in yourself and following your dreams wherever they lead you. “For a while I made the decision that I was going to go to college locally to get my certification as a dental hygienist, but what some people didn’t know it was because I didn’t think I was good enough to twirl in college so I made up an excuse to miss the embarrassment. After a long talk with my family and my coach as well as twirling team I was finally able to get out of my head and believe in my abilities. Well here I am, Twirling in college. No matter what always believe in yourself. No one can make your dreams come true, but you.” Wise words from someone living the dream. You never know unless you try!

We want to send a big thank you to Kaylee and Megan for their time and wish them the best of luck this season on the field. We know you will represent the Bobcats with pride and a smile. Eat ‘Em Up Cats!


We hope you have enjoyed another edition of our Collegiate Spotlight. Have a favorite High School or Collegiate Twirler that you would like to see interviewed? Please contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com so that we can reach out to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment