Thursday, November 17, 2016

Collegiate Twirler Spotlight - The Baylor Golden Girl Twirlers

Hello Texas Twirl Fans! One of the goals of this blog is to raise awareness of those in the Texas twirling community. We also hope to educate our younger twirlers on opportunities available to them or experiences they can pursue. To close out the Collegiate Twirler Spotlight series for the season, our next two editions will be with twirlers who chose to go out of state to twirl in college so that we can learn why they made the decisions they did.

As Texans, we obviously know why someone would want to come here! However, it is always good to hear why our State is so awesome from an outsider. This week we are talking to three nationally known twirlers that could have chosen to go almost anywhere in the USA, but decided that for college they would call Waco, Texas their home away from home.

For today’s Collegiate Twirler Spotlight, we are talking to the three beautiful and talented Baylor Golden Girls – Adaline Bebo, Phoebe Carr, and Merri-Frances Dmitrzak.


The Baylor Golden Girls are a Texas twirling institution, and a position that has been held by many amazing twirlers. Some recent notable Alum includes the 2012 Miss Texas, DeNae Couch, the 2016 Miss Texas, Caroline Carothers, Tori Mays, Mattison Torres, Kelsey Vaughn, Michaela Tennison, Allison Hatfield, and Scottie Hagen. The Golden Girls, led by instructor Lynn Dell Harrell, uphold a long standing tradition of twirling excellence as a part of the Baylor Golden Wave Band. These twirlers do audition annually for their position, but once a twirler has been named a “Feature” twice, they are then guaranteed their position for subsequent seasons. 


 These girls have been having a great time as part of the Baylor community. They all three named “The Baylor Line” as their all-time favorite school tradition. According to Merri-Frances, the Baylor Line “is when the freshman students run onto the football field before the football team runs out to start the game”. Phoebe tells us “it is one of the most exciting, yet terrifying things to experience”. Adaline feels the same and tells us that “we are the only school in the nation that does anything like it!” Adaline is also a fan of the tradition of “Tortilla Tossing” off the suspension bridge.

Now when it comes to being a part of the Baylor Golden Wave Band, these ladies have two different traditions they love. Phoebe’s favorite is after a winning game, the band likes to chant “Bears won, Bears won, Bears won. Let’s go home.” She says it accurately describes the band’s reaction to the win. “We are excited for our victory, but also exhausted… after 5 hours of practicing before the game, performing during the game, and performing a post-game show”.

Adaline and Merri-Frances enjoy being in on a band specific moment during the singing of the Alma Mater.  Adaline tells us “when the band sings our Alma Mater, there is a part when the band adds a “Whoosh!” and swings our “Sic ‘em” (the bear claw hand). I love it because at any event… you can see and hear exactly who is a part of the BUGWB family, past and present”. Merri-Francis says “It’s an inside band story that mostly only band members know. So, I won’t tell you why. Join the band and you will find out!”

 Spending this much time together has to result in some awesome inside jokes. All three girls named the same inside joke as their favorite, and it is what they call an “Adi”. Phoebe describes this phenomena by telling us that “although Adaline is a very graceful twirler, sometimes she would have moments where the baton would go straight to the ground. Any time we have a silly drop, we call it an Adi”. Merri-Frances expands on that by telling us how an “Adi” moment led to naming an exchange “The Blackout” (yes, a black eye was involved!).  What does Adaline have to say about this? “Well…”. We know every twirler has had their share of “Adi” moments. Makes us all feel a little better to know that a World Team level competitor has her own “silly drop moments”. Baylor Golden Girls… they are just like us!

Now that we know a little more about what it is like to be a Golden Girl and a member of the Baylor Golden Wave Band, let’s learn a little more about each of these ladies and how they ended up wearing the gold and green!


 Adaline Bebo, Sophomore, Competition Level: Elite/Advanced
Adaline is from Carmel, Indiana and is a Sophomore Neuroscience and Pre-Law Major. Adaline has been twirling for 10 years with Coaches Jackie Stewart and Cheryl Wimberley. The competition titles she is the most proud of winning are the 2016 Grand National Strut Champions and Miss Silver Bean of Chicago. Adaline’s favorite competition trick is her triple leap (left, right, left), forward roll with a back catch. “It took a long time to build up strength for it, and I love how unique it is – It always gets a lot of applause!” On the field, she loves doing side and front aeriels under tosses with unique catches. “There’s some suspense and it’s usually something the crowd hasn’t seen before”. 

As a twirler, Adaline is most inspired by Hollie Neilson. “She’s always inspired me to try doing things my own way and keep an open mind during the creative process”. Adaline considers her favorite moment of twirling to be when she was performing in Helsingborg, Sweden with Team USA. “I genuinely had the time of my life and the performances reminded me why I love twirling and performing so much”. After graduating, Adaline says she would “love to work with the government and help to bridge the gap between science and politics to integrate bio-ethical regulations. I am also interested in how nutrition impacts neurological functions, so building awareness in that area is a goal for me!”


 Phoebe Carr, Freshman, Competition Level: Advanced
Phoebe is from Hartland, Michigan and is a Freshman Biochemisty Pre-Med Major. Phoebe has been twirling for 10 years with Coaches Patti Jankowki and Tammy Albrecht. The competition title she is the most proud of winning is the NBTA Carnival Cup Senior Queen. Her favorite competition routine is her dance twirl, “it incorporates all of my favorite tricks”, and her favorite field trick is her two baton.

As a twirler, Phoebe is most inspired by Adaline Bebo & Merri-Francis Dmitrzak. “They are both amazing twirlers and great people too. It is such an honor to get to twirl with them.” She considers her greatest moments of twirling to be when she is able to pass her twirling knowledge on to younger students. When Phoebe graduates she wants to become a Pediatric Oncologist (doctor who treats kids with cancer).


Merri-Frances Dmitrzak, Senior, Competition Level: Advanced
Merri-Frances is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and is a Senior History Major. Merri-Frances has been twirling for 19 years (since she was 7!) with Coaches Vignoli Parisi, Christine Radi, and Billy Bruce. On the competition floor or the football field, Merri-Frances loves any time she gets to twirl multiple batons. “People/fans love watching the more complex variety… I especially love twirling four batons, it is such a crowd pleaser. I also enjoy doing rolls”. While winning the world championship title with her team, the Modernettes, will always be close to her heart, her favorite titles are the State & Regional championships she has earned representing Baylor, “because twirling and representing my school are very important to me, win or lose”.

As a twirler, Merri-Frances has been inspired by many amazing twirlers including her two older sisters LeAnn Chamberlin (former Grand National Twirling Champion) and Heather Whittaker (2x Miss Majorette of America, Grand National Twirling Champion, and former Feature Twirler for The University of Louisville). The former collegiate twirlers she most admired are PJ Burkin and Karrissa Wimberley. “On the field, they captivated the audience, no matter what they were doing”. She also has a great respect and looks up to Savannah Miller and her “twirling partner in crime”, Adaline Bebo. “They both put all of their talents out on the field for everyone to enjoy. Their performances are incredible. I am honored to know each one of these twirlers”. Her favorite moments in twirling have been on the field at Baylor. “The Baylor Golden Wave Band has amazing and outstanding young men and women. We are all one big family”. After graduation, Merri-Frances plans to find a job teaching history and “hopefully have the opportunity to pass on to others what I have learned”.


  Fun Facts!
Color = Blue (Phoebe), Anything Pink & Sparkly – “and green and gold, of course!” (Adaline), “Green and Gold of course but also any shades of Blue” (Merri-Frances)

Movie = “GiGi” (Phoebe), any action movie (Merri-Frances), “A Few Good Men” and “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” (Adaline)

Television = “I’m a huge Supernatural fan, but Food Network is my guilty pleasure (Adaline)

Band/Music = Disturbed (Phoebe), “I love to practice to pop and EDM, but I love to listen to soft pop or alternative while I study” (Adaline), “I listen to about everything” (Merri-Frances)

Food = Greek Yogurt (Phoebe), Marshmallows and Gummi Bears (Adaline)

Are you involved in any non-band/twirling organizations at school?
  • Phoebe = BUMEDS (medical ethics discussion organization) 
  • Merri-Frances = “Not directly related with the school but I do a lot of volunteer work with the Army at Fort Hood. I am part of the Family Readiness Groups that take care of everything on the home front when the soldiers are home and/or deployed. We plan activities for the children and families… I try to participate in as many programs as I can such as helping with the USO”.
When they are not twirling they love to…
  • Phoebe = “Work out and have board game nights with my friends”
  • Adaline = “Explore Waco and FaceTime with family”
  • Merri-Frances = “Play with my puppies!!! I have 2 Siberian Huskies. Kaiden is three years old and Nikko is five months old. They are my everything, and keep me healthy. We like to go on family hikes around Texas”
 Something most people might not know about me is…
  • Phoebe = “Before competing in baton, I played tackle football for 5 years”
  • Adaline = “I used to be a competitive hip-hop dancer, I love dinosaurs, and I’ve always wanted to go to culinary school!”
  • Merri-Frances = “I have a hearing disability and wear hearing aids in both of my ears. Growing up I have had to overcome many different obstacles”
 Favorite Quote/Life Motto…
  • Phoebe = “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” -Robert H. Schuller
  • Adaline = “If passion is the input, then success will be the output”
  • Merri-Frances = “Enjoy the journey you are on, always be a class act and live life to the fullest”
Most Memorable Tip/Advice from your Coach…
  • Phoebe = “If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. So, if you look like a great twirler, act like a great twirler, and practice like a great twirler, you will be a great twirler.”
  • Adaline = “My coaches and I have made some really great and funny memories together over the years, but one of the most memorable and encouraging things Jackie has ever told me was ‘to go out there and command the judges to see your unique self’. This really stuck with me because it taught me not question my abilities or training and to not compare myself to anyone else.”
  • Merri-Frances = “Enjoy the journey you are on and everything else will fall where it needs too” 
What do you think is the #1 non-twirling life skill you learn from baton twirling?
  • Phoebe = “Dedication is a key factor in success. Just how practicing diligently for hours will significantly improve a twirler’s performance at competitions, diligently focusing on work or school can also be rewarding”.
  • Adaline = “Resilience. From learning to comeback stronger after an injury or crazy drops in a routine to being willing to take alternative paths in my life when things don’t go as anticipated, it is a skill that I’m grateful for every day. Physically and mentally, it has been the skill that has allowed me to grow and become stronger in everything I do”.
  • Merri-Frances = Preparation is the key for all fundamentals in life. (Also), baton twirling has helped me come out of my shell and become the person I am. My coaches and parents have taught me to always be a class act on and off the football field or competition floor and I like to tell younger twirlers that it is not all about the crown or the banner. What is important is you doing your job, being proud of your performance, and doing what you love”.
Advice or practical suggestion to future Collegiate Twirlers:
  • Phoebe = “When in doubt, sell a performance with presentation. Not all conditions on the field will be ideal for optimal twirling. The best part about twirling in college is that not everyone knows what a super difficult trick is. A lot of time people are amazed by the tricks we’ve been doing for years. It’s good to have a nice balance of difficult tricks and showy tricks that will catch the audience’s eye”.
  • Adaline = “Video everything! One of the hardest things for me prior to auditioning anywhere was pulling together quality, consistent, and updated videos of twirling to put into my audition tape! Beyond that, I highly recommending visiting schools you’re interested in, going to games to get a feel of the environment, having a good idea of what academic route you want to take, and putting school as the priority (as hard as it may be sometimes!)”.
  • Merri-Frances = “Don’t go to a school just because you have been offered a twirling position. Go to a university because it feels like home and you love it. Before Baylor I had the opportunity to go to a smaller school.  I attended Marshall University in West Virginia. I did not pick Marshall University for twirling. I picked Marshall because it was right for me at that time in my life. It is important to select a school that is right for you.”

Seeing as both Adaline and Merri-Frances mention picking your college based on the academics and environment, and not just because you could twirl there, we have to ask… What made them decide to go out of State? Adaline summed it up best when she told us “I’ve traveled the world for twirling, so I’d gotten a taste of what experiencing other places had to offer. I knew that if I wanted to go back to Indiana, I could, but an opportunity to live and experience another culture, meet new people, and gain some independence was too great to pass up”.

So why Texas? Why Baylor? Phoebe tells us she “chose to go out of state for twirling for a myriad of reasons. I chose Baylor because, although it’s on the other side of the country from my hometown, there was a warming presence that I felt on campus that basically told me that I was meant to be here, and that Baylor was to be my “home away from home”. Plus, I really didn’t want to twirl in the snow anymore. I have twirled in subzero temperatures and in blizzards, so a change of twirling conditions was much needed. I love Texas weather so much”. When asked what gave Baylor that warming presence, Phoebe said “the band director, twirling director, and the campus in general were all very inviting when I visited Baylor. I felt a strong spiritual pull. When I stepped on campus, I knew that this was where I was meant to be”.

Adaline also mentioned the weather.  “The weather during football season is MUCH better in Texas than Indiana, plus football and the twirling tradition is much richer. I used to train in Texas... so it was somewhere I knew well enough to want to live there”. While we totally understand the desire to come to Texas, what was it about Baylor that won her over? “I knew as soon as I walked on campus! Our new stadium and beautiful buildings are amazing! The science program is very strong and the religious affiliation was a big draw for me”.

Merri-Frances had a unique situation that brought her to Texas. “My husband is a Captain in the United States Army and he was transferred to Fort Hood while I was still at Marshall University. Once he was settled in Texas, we found out he was leaving for a deployment. Half way through his deployment I applied to Baylor to see if I could transfer in. Once I got my acceptance letter, I knew I found my new home”. What made Merri-Frances choose to apply specifically at Baylor? “While looking at University's in Texas, I had to see what was close to our house and a school that felt like home. Even though I drive 90 minutes each way, for me, Baylor felt like home. Academically the teachers are amazing. When you come to Baylor you know you will get a top of the line educational experience. You can get involved in many clubs and groups. There is something for everyone”. 

We know that making a decision to go out of state has to be a hard one, especially for those close to their family. We asked the Golden Girls what advice they would give to twirlers thinking about going out of state. Adaline mentioned “My family and I are so close that I never imagined living so far away from them. If I’ve learned anything, it’s that gaining independence teaches you more about yourself and ends up bringing you and your family closer, no matter how far you are from each other”. Phoebe also emphasize the importance of family when making this decision. “Stay in contact with your family. I text my parents and my grandma on a daily basis. It feels good to just hear how their day went and hearing how everything back home is going”. Merri-Frances agrees with keeping that family connection strong, but also advises twirlers out of state to make sure to find your new family. “It can be hard at first being away from your family but you can create your own friendships that will turn into a sisterhood or a brotherhood. Get involved as much as you can and meet new people”. 

The transition away from family has to be hard, but that is not the only difficulty out of state students face. What would they say was the hardest part that new collegiate twirlers traveling out of state should be aware of?  Phoebe feels the hardest part was going somewhere that she didn’t know many people. “No one from my high school goes to Baylor, so the first few weeks here felt kind of lonely. Luckily, there are a lot of opportunities to make friends in college”. Merri-Frances most misses seeing her family back home in person. “I have two nephews in Pennsylvania and a niece in Tennessee. It's hard to be away from them. We FaceTime at least once a week, but it's not the same as being there in person”. Adaline has learned the hardest part is integrating into new cultures, but that it can lead to learning to love new things. “Texas is totally its own culture and I absolutely love it! Before living here, I didn’t like Mexican food, but since, I’ve fallen in love with Tex-Mex! At first, it was difficult to adjust to new ways of saying things, learning how Texans drive (especially on I-35!), and finding new places to shop, hang out, and eat”. 

Great words of advice all around! It was an honor to get to chat with these ladies, and we hope that all the younger twirlers reading will take some of this information to heart when making their own decisions. Texas is very lucky to have these three amazing twirlers here representing our state and Baylor on a national level. A big thank you to Adaline, Phoebe, and Merri-Frances for their time, and a big Sic 'Em Bears for all you Baylor Fans!


We hope you have enjoyed another edition of our Collegiate Spotlight. Have a favorite High School or Collegiate Twirler that you would like to see interviewed? Please contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com with their name and email address so that we can reach out to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment