Monday, September 20, 2021

Collegiate Twirler Spotlight - Stephen F. Austin Feature Twirler

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

What a great weekend of College Football. Many great moments, including some awesome field twirling. We loved getting to follow along with this Lumberjack Feature Twirler as she took over our Instastory on Saturday, and now we are excited to have her as this week’s Collegiate Twirler Spotlight.
 
This week’s Spotlight is the Stephen F Austin State University Feature Twirler, Julie Horchler!


Stephen F Austin State University, or SFA, which is located in Nacogdoches, Texas, is the home of the Lumberjacks, and a long history of great twirling. The school has a fantastic majorette line called the Twirl-O-Jacks, but each year they also audition for a Feature Twirler. This position twirls separate of the Twirl-O-Jacks, but they work as a cohesive visual unit. Twirler Julie Horchler is returning to SFA this season for her second year as the Lumberjack Feature Twirler.

Being a part of the Lumberjack band program has been an amazing experience, and part of what brought Julie to SFA. “I chose SFA because I knew it had a great reputation for creating future teachers. Since SFA was originally a school of education, I knew it was the right choice for me. I also wanted to continue my twirling career and I knew SFA had a well-established line as well as a Feature Twirler position for the Lumberjack Marching Band.”

We also wanted to know what she had to do to earn the position, and she told us about the audition process. “It consists of a video submission by which, if selected, you will receive an invitation to a live audition. At the live audition, there is an interview before the candidates present their solo (this can be to your own music within the time guidelines). After the solos we are then given a random song chosen by the band directors that morning, and about an hour to come up with a new routine. After the improv routines we finish the rest of the twirling line auditions and the new Feature Twirler is announced at the end as well as the line.”

Now that we have learned a little more about the Feature position, let’s meet Julie!

Julie Horchler

Julie is a Junior Elementary Major from Whitehouse, Texas. She has been twirling for ten years with coaches Reinetta Gingles and Jeri Coke. The competition title she is the proudest of winning was the 2021 Twirling Productions Unlimited Collegiate Grand Champion. Her favorite competition trick is four baton juggles and her favorite field trick is anything with multiple batons or cartwheels, “the crowd loves that stuff!” In baton twirling she has been most inspired by Former University of South Carolina Feature Twirler, and current CCMOA, Sabrina Smith. “She is just so graceful and talented. I love getting to watch her perform!” At SFA she is a member of the Sigma Kappa Omega sorority, and after college she would like to teach second grade.
 

Fun Facts!
Favorite Color – Blues of any kind
Favorite Movies – The Notebook, Little Women, or any of the Harry Potter series
Favorite Music – Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, 5 Seconds of Summer

Favorite Quote…
"If you're happy doing what you're doing, then nobody can tell you you're not successful."

Personal Life Motto…
“Treat People with Kindness.”

When she is not twirling, she loves to…
“Read. I like to read in my down time from school or twirling.”

Best moment as a baton twirler…
“Either having a no-drop first halftime performance of the year or when I was announced as the Lumberjack Marching Band Feature Twirler!”

Funniest moments as a baton twirler…
“During my first halftime we had somebody else place my batons on the front line for me, but they actually placed them on the opposite 40. At the time, it wasn't very funny, but we laugh about it now. It ended up being a no drop game! Also, I try to interact with the band as much as I can during shows. I think it's fun to flip around one of them or have a dance break. This year I have a small section with our color guard. Let's just say I have way more appreciation for their talent. It's hard to catch those rifles and position your hands just the right way! In twirling we have a little more flexibility with how we catch and release, so it was definitely a learning experience.”


Most memorable advice from her coach…
“Focus on one trick at a time and make it your best.”

#1 Non-Twirling Life Skill she has learned from being a baton twirler…
“I think what I’ve learned the most is dedication, patience, and practice. Nobody is going to do this for you, so if you want something you have to work for it. I think it has also taught me how to study better in a way. If I want to reach a goal academically, I have to put a lot of time into making sure I know the information. Just like with twirling, if I want something I have to work hard and practice for it.”
 
Advice to future baton twirlers…

“If you want something, work hard and make it yours. It will make it that much more meaningful once you've achieved it.”

Best school tradition…
“Before each game the Lumberjack Marching Band and I perform a pregame routine, and at the end we play our fight song as we move into a tunnel formation. Our football team runs down the hill from their locker rooms, through the tunnel and one of the players runs ahead to swing an axe into a huge purple stump. As soon as the axe is in the stump, the rest of the team runs through with purple smoke as we play the fight song. It's my favorite part of the game! The crowd always goes wild, and it just brings such a fun energy to the game.”

Best band tradition/inside joke…
“Either ‘God loves the LMB’ or ‘Yay cloud!’”


Advice to twirlers auditioning for college twirling positions…
“Don't stress about where to go. Go where it feels right to you and practice to work for your goals! I would also recommend conditioning yourself outside. Spend time on walks or take a job in the afternoons. A lot of bands have their camps and practice out on hot parking lots so it's important to prepare yourself.”

We asked Julie how things have gone for her the last year, and what she learned from the challenges, and she told us, “As far as this past year, it was honestly hard to stay motivated. All of my classes moved online, and it seemed like I wouldn't even get to see the field my first year as Feature Twirler. It really bummed me out, but I just had to remember to be thankful for the short amount of performances we did have and to practice for this year, and I'm glad I did because the Lumberjack Marching Band is off to a great start!”

Finally, we wanted to know how being the SFA Feature Twirler has affected her and her time at SFA, and she said it just meant everything to her. “Being selected as the Feature Twirler for the Lumberjack Marching band has been the best experience for me. We have practice every day and the band is so supportive of me, I've loved getting to know everyone. Between the band and the directors, it feels like a big family every day and I'm incredibly thankful to have such a strong support system here at Stephen F. Austin.”

We want to thank Julie for taking time to interview with us, and we wish her and the Lumberjack Marching Band a fantastic rest of their season. Axe ‘Em Jacks!


Each season this blog likes to get to know many of our awesome Texas twirlers a little better by learning about their experiences. We will be meeting many HS twirlers on Fridays throughout the season with the Friday Night Lights Features and discovering more about our Texas Collegians with the Collegiate Twirler Spotlights during the week. We will also be having many of our High School and Collegiate twirlers take over our Social Media Story for their Game Days, and we may even have some special Live moments! Make sure to follow us on Instagram @twirlingiscatchingtx or at facebook.com/twirlingiscatchingtx so you don't miss a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment