Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Miss Texas 2021: Meet the Twirlers - Miss Coppell

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

Miss Texas week is officially underway, and these beautiful twirlers have been doing an amazing job. To make sure our twirlers get the proper level of support from the twirling community, during Miss Texas Week we will be doing an interview with all of the baton twirlers that will be competing. We want to come together and unite to celebrate and support these young women as they represent our community and show Texas what twirlers can do!

Our first Miss Texas twirler is the 2021 Miss Coppell, Chailie Alsaffar!



PEOPLE'S CHOICE VOTING IS OPEN! Help support our Texas Twirlers in their mission to get baton twirling to the Miss Texas stage! Top 2 highest "votes" get a guaranteed spot to perform in the semi-finals. Check out Chailie’s People’s Choice Voting Site here. Each vote is $, and every $1 counts!
 
Chailie Alsaffar is 20 years old from Highland Village, Texas. She the 2021-2022 Head Twirler for the Texas Tech University Twirlers, which are coached by Bethany Tolley. At TTU she is going in to her third year as a Kinesiology major. In baton twirling, her two favorite accomplishments were being named the 2020 Southwest Regional Collegiate Downfield Champion and the 2017 Intermediate Junior National X-Strut Winner. 

Being a Texas Tech Twirler has been one of her most rewarding experiences as a twirler as well. When I twirled in high school, my school did not have a band so I would usually twirl to an 80’s song blaring on a speaker. It was such an amazing experience to come to Texas Tech and twirl with one of the best bands in the Big 12. I will never forget turning around in my first halftime show to do a two spin and seeing my brother playing his trumpet right behind me. We were the most iconic band siblings ever!
 
Miss Texas OT Platform: Pups With A Purpose

Life Motto
: Be the change you want to see…

What made you pursue competing in the MAO? I grew up watching the Miss America competition with my mom. I remember watching a baton twirler competing in the talent portion on tv one year. I do not know if I was fascinated with the sparkly costumes or the shiny batons but I told my mom I wanted to twirl and the rest is history. I decided to compete in MAO for the amazing scholarship opportunities and because I owed it to my younger self to compete and fulfill my dream.
 
How would you say Baton Twirling has helped you in your MAO journey? Baton twirling teaches you to be flexible and adapt to change quickly. I have had a lot of learning experiences as a titleholder, especially during the peak of the pandemic when the competition was postponed. Miss Texas is always kept on her toes and needs to be ready for anything, which baton twirling certainly prepares you for.

 
Why did you select your platform?
My social impact, Pups with a Purpose, educates people on the importance of service dogs and therapy dogs for individuals with disabilities. After my aunt passed away from complications of PTSD, my family and I wanted to find a way to prevent that loss from ever happening to another family. We found Project 2 Heal, which is a nonprofit organization in North Carolina that breeds service dogs, so we funded a litter in my aunt Kathy’s honor. Ever since then, I have been using Pups with a Purpose to educate people across the nation about how these canines can be life-saving for many people.
 
What has been the most rewarding moment as Miss Coppell? I recently got in contact with one of the recipients of Kathy’s litter of service dogs. I got to see Frannie, the service dog, in action and the strong bond she has developed with her handler and his family. He was so thankful for my family and for me acting as a voice for so many who feel overlooked. I knew after speaking to him that my work in MAO means so much more than wearing a crown and sash. Pups with a Purpose is opening up meaningful conversations and raising awareness for the amazing work that service dogs do.
 
What has been the hardest part about competing in the MAO pageants? I have waited almost two years to compete for Miss Texas since my original crowning in August 2019. If there is anything COVID has taught me, it is patience. The hardest thing to overcome was time, and continuing to prepare for competition throughout a pandemic. I am ready to compete, and I am so excited that the wait is almost over.
 
What advice would you have for other twirlers thinking about going the pageant route? Just go for it. You never know what the outcome will be if you do not try. You will learn so much about yourself and accomplish things you never knew you could be capable of if you join the Miss America Organization. MAO will empower you and push you to be the best version of yourself while also teaching you the importance of advocating for causes you care about.
 

We absolutely love that! Thank you so much to Chailie for taking time to answer our questions. We wish you the best of luck as you compete on the Miss Texas stage. We are so excited to see your smiling face, and #TeamTexas is supporting you from all over the state. 


We hope you have enjoyed this blog post. We are always looking for great new stories about Texas twirlers. Do you have an idea or some information we could use to help highlight our sport? Contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com and we would love to hear more about it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment