Friday, September 21, 2018

Friday Night Lights Feature - Central Catholic High School

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

TGIF! It is finally Friday and we are back with the next edition of our Friday Night Lights Features.

This week we are talking to a twirler that has a very unique opportunity to twirl for TWO different schools! The Feature Twirler for both Central Catholic High School and Providence Catholic School, Ali Marotta!


In San Antonio, Texas you can find two different schools that are associated with each other. This is the Central Catholic High School (an all boys school) and next door is the Providence Catholic School (an all girls school). While Ali attends the Providence School, she has the amazing opportunity to twirl at events for both of the schools!

Ali loves getting to be a part of the Central Catholic/Providence community, especially the marching band program. She says the part of school she loves the most is "getting to spend time with the band because we have so much fun at practices, football games, and band trips". In fact, her favorite school tradition comes with the marching band. "The best school tradition at football games would have to be “Wipeout”. The band plays a song while the student section pretends to play along, and then proceeds to form a kickline, which I think makes it the most fun!" That has to be a lot of fun to be a part of!

She has made many great memories within the program, including performing with the band in Ireland last Spring Break, and competing at contests. "My favorite twirling moment with the band program would have to be winning the TAPPS State Championship with the band. It was a privilege to get to participate in the competition band show, and because we won this title, we were picked to be a Feature Band at Battle of the Bands 2018. It was an experience I will never forget!"

Another moment Ali will never forget happened at her first band competition. "In the second book of our show, one of the color guard members was supposed to hand me a flag to twirl, and she accidentally handed it to me completely wrapped up and upside down. I did not have enough time to unravel it, and twirled a pretty short looking flag for part of the song. After the show we laughed about it, and made sure it never happened again!" Those are the kinds of moments you get to look back on and enjoy.

Now that we have learned a little more about being a part of the Central Catholic Band, let's learn a little more about Ali and her twirling experiences.

Ali Marotta, Junior
Competition Level: Intermediate
Ali has been twirling since she was four years old, so for about twelve years, with the Texas Gems and Coach Melinda Mann White. The title she is the most proud of is when she was the Beginner Texas Pageant Winner. Ali's favorite competition trick is a two spin, fan hitch kick, catch backhand in an illusion. "It is a trick I do not see done very often, and it is definitely one of my favorites to perform". Her favorite field trick is a toss cartwheel. "It is super fun to do, and gets the crowd pretty excited!"









Fun Facts!

Favorite Movie: 'Aquamarine'.  "I have loved it ever since I watched it with my older sister Valerie, and we have watched it over and over together ever since".

Favorite Color: Mint Blue. "It is very similar to aquamarine".

Favorite Quote: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” -Philippians 4:13

Most Memorable Advice from  her Coach: "My coach has always told me to go out on the floor and make myself proud".

When she is not twirling she loves to... "Dance! I am a member of the Progressions Dance Troupe at the school I attend, Providence Catholic School. It is so much fun to spend time with my team, even if we are working hard in practice, because that is just what we do".

Something people might not know about her is... "I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and bulged discs in my back last year. It was a really scary time for my family and I, but after several months of physical therapy, I was able to return to dance and twirling. This experience reminded me to never take my abilities for granted, and made me grateful to be a twirler".


In baton twirling, Ali has been most inspired by the current University of Incarnate Word’s Feature Twirler, Ashley Sneed. "Not only is she a long-time friend of mine, but she currently holds the title of Miss San Antonio, in which she is an amazing role model. I admire her choice of costumes, sassy attitude, and style of twirling, and always look forward to getting her opinions on costumes, routines, and new trick".

After High School, Ali hopes to twirl in college and then attend medical school. We know she will be successful at her goals as she has learned a lot about life from Twirling. When asked what she thinks is the best life skill she has learned from baton twirling, she tells us that it is to "never let fear stop me from doing something I am passionate about. This skill has given me the courage to speak up for myself, stand up for what I believe in, and pursue my dreams, even if they do not seem easy to attain". That is a great attitude!

She also wants to make sure future high school twirlers always remember to have fun! "Performing at football games is one of the best parts of getting to twirl for your school. If it is obvious you are having fun on the field, the crowd will feed off your energy, and love watching you!" Do what you love and love what you do!

We want to say a big thank you to Ali for taking some time to answer our questions. We wish her a wonderful Fall marching season and we cannot wait to see where the next couple years take her. Way to go Ali!


We hope you have enjoyed this edition of our FNL Feature. Have a favorite High School or Collegiate Twirler that you would like to see interviewed? Please contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.comwith their name and email address so that we can reach out to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment