Thursday, October 5, 2023

Collegiate Twirler Spotlight - Texas Tech University

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

That first weekend in October is always the best with the changes in weather, and the football season really kicking into high gear. It was great to follow along Saturday with this amazing group of twirlers during their Instastory Takeover, and we have to say, don’t they do a wonderful job with their takeovers? We really felt like we were right alongside them for Game Day! Now we are excited to learn more about them!

This week’s Collegiate Twirler Spotlight is the Texas Tech University Twirlers!


Texas Tech University, located in Lubbock, Texas, is the home of the Red Raiders, the Goin' Band from Raiderland, and a legacy of wonderful baton twirlers. Rocking the scarlet and black, the Texas Tech Twirlers have had a history of some fantastic talent representing on the field for many, many years. Led by former Texas Tech Feature Twirlers and Coaches, Bethany Tolley & Amanda Tolley, the 2023 Texas Tech Twirlers are made up of a Feature Twirler, a Head Twirler, and a twirling line. They work together on the field to entertain the crowds and support their Red Raiders.

This year the TTU Twirlers include Feature - Kirby Stanek, Head Twirler - Laney Whitefield, and Line Members Sophie Carnes, Ava Medellin, Aubren Montgomery, Taryn Fojtik, & Taylor Tubbs. 

To kick off our interview, we asked Feature Twirler, Kirby, and Head Twirler, Laney, some questions about Texas Tech! First we wanted to know why they chose to attend Tech, and for Kirby, that was as easy one! “I have grown up in Lubbock and taken from Bethany Tolley since I was 5 years old, so I knew I had to continue twirling for her in college.” For Laney, it was about Tech being the full package. “I chose Texas Tech because of the amazing nutrition program, the twirling program, and the enthusiastic fans!”

Tech always has many amazing twirlers, so we wanted to know what process they went through to be selected. Kirby told us a little about the Feature auditions, as they involve several steps. “Trying out for the Feature position begins with making sure you can do each of the required tricks. Then I had to send in a video for our coach and band director, which compiled videos of me twirling in competition, on the high school field, and at other events I have twirled at. After you make it past that round you go to in person try-outs. This includes performing a 3-minute routine to a song in front of a panel of judges, followed by an interview.” For those interested in joining the line, it is more of a one-day process. “After completing your audition packet, you will visit Lubbock for our in-person auditions. During auditions you will learn a group routine, your personal audition routine, and interview with a panel of judges.”



Being leaders in a spirit organization, we had to know their favorite things about attending a University like Texas Tech! According to Kirby, “there are so many things I love about Texas Tech! My favorite must be the unbeatable atmospheres on game days. No matter the sport, people all over Lubbock will show up to support our teams. Whether you are in college or not you will have a blast at every game!” Laney agreed, but also said the rigorous academics and knowledgeable professors really make attending Tech a well rounded experience. “The professors at Texas Tech are very passionate about their subjects and care about each student’s well being and success!”

With such a great Game Day atmosphere, we had to hear more about their favorite traditions! As Laney told us, “There are so many great traditions at Texas Tech. A few of our favorites are the Victory Bells after we win game, throwing tortillas on the field, or Raider Power!” Kirby seconds the Tortilla throwing. “It definitely shocks anyone new to a Tech game!” Laney also shared with us a tradition with the Goin Band that really bonds them together as an organization. “At then end of every rehearsal and game, the Goin’ Band’s Leadership plays the Matador Song while the rest of the band sings along. It is such an amazing moment!”

Finally, we asked what they are looking forward to the most this season, and they told us the Goin Band is headed to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade! Wow! How fun is that? As Kirby told us, “We could not be more excited to be representing Texas Tech with the Goin Band from Raiderland in New York City! It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I am so glad it is happening while I am at Tech. I cannot believe we will be performing in NYC so soon! Be sure to look for us on TV!” We definitely will!

Now that we have learned about life at Tech, let’s learn more about these twirlers!


Kirby Stanek, Feature Twirler

Competition Level: Collegiate
Kirby is a Junior from Lubbock, TX, who is majoring in Sports Management with a minor in Public Relations. She has been twirling for 15 years and is coached by Bethany Tolley. The competition title she is the proudest of earning is the 2023 College Miss Majorette of the Southwest. “I have always looked up to the college twirlers and winning this title just confirmed that I had reached one of my biggest goals!” Kirby’s favorite competition trick is a 4 spin catch blind, and her favorite field trick is a toss double leap catch in roll over. In baton twirling, she has been most inspired by former Tech Feature, Sydney Webster. “She is the reason why I got into Baton Twirling. She has always been an older sister to me, and I will never forget following her around at competitions and Tech games. Now having the same position as her when she was at Tech is super cool to think about! After college, Kirby plans to work in sports management. “Being a Sports Management Major, I have always known I want to continue working in the sports world. I really hope to become a coach or athletic director so that I can impact kids the same way my coach, Bethany Tolley, has impacted me!”

Fun Facts about Kirby!
Favorite Color: “Red! DUH!”
Favorite TV Show: “Bachelor in Paradise”
Favorite Book or Podcast: “Anything Colleen Hoover”
Favorite Drink: Iced Coffee!
Favorite Quote: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13

When she is not twirling, she loves to... “Spend time with my family and friends.”

Something people might not know about her is... “I played volleyball from 5th grade through High School and absolutely loved it. Being a part of two sports has definitely helped me in so many ways over the years!”

The best non twirling life skill she has gained from baton twirling is... “Confidence! Before I twirl in front of the thousands of people on gameday, I tell myself to have confidence. I’m the one who got myself here, and being confident in myself helps me shine on the field! It also helps me in my day-to-day life. I speak in public better and have overall more confidence in the things I do every day.”



Most memorable advice from her coach... “One of Bethany’s favorite things to say to me is “Show if Off!”. This has completely changed how I twirl. I don’t focus on trying to be completely perfect, I focus on having fun and showing off each of my tricks.”

Advice to future collegiate twirlers or those in the audition process... “Enjoy every second of where you are at. Work hard every day and push yourself to be better. Have fun and show off your tricks. What your face is saying says more than what your body is saying.”

Favorite memory as a baton twirler...
 “Every game day makes a new favorite memory for me. I absolutely love performing on the field in front of people. Hearing our drumline begin to play, taking the field by myself, and hearing the crowd go crazy, is an exhilarating feeling.”

Funniest memory as a baton twirler... “There are too many funny memories to pick just one. Our team can make anything funny; I definitely laugh at every practice we have.”

Favorite thing about your university's marching band program... “The Goin Band is one big family. I love how we laugh together at every rehearsal and know that we are all in it together.”


Laney Whitefield, Head Twirler

Competition Level: Intermediate
Laney is a Junior from Granbury, TX, that is majoring in Nutrition and Dietetics. In addition to being a Tech Twirler, she is also the public relations officer in the Student Dietetics Association. Laney has been twirling for 15 years and is coached by Bethany Tolley at Tech, and Vicki Ray for individual competition as a member of the Vick’s Chicks. The competition placement she is the proudest of was when she placed top five and top 10 in all of my events at nationals the past two years! Her favorite competition trick is anything rolls, and her favorite field trick is a one turn illusion. In baton twirling she has been most inspired by her Vick’s Chicks Teammates, and former Tech Twirler, Emma Zuar. After college, Laney plans to attend a master’s program and complete her dietetic internship! 




Sophie Carnes

Competition Level: Advanced
Sophie is a Junior from Corpus Christi, TX, that is majoring in Kinesiology. IN addition to being a Tech Twirler, she is helps with a student organization at Texas Tech called CCH (Collegiate Companions for Hospice). “we volunteer and visit the homes of people in hospice!”












Ava Medellin

Competition Level: Advanced
Ava is a Sophomore from Gonzales, TX, that is majroing in Human Development. In addition to being a Tech Twirler, she is also a Student Assistant at the TTU Child Development Center.














Aubren Montgomery

Competition Level: Intermediate
Aubren is a Junior from Rockwall, TX, that is majoring in Public Relations. 















Taryn Fojtik

Competition Level: Intermediate
Taryn is a Freshman from Damon, TX, that is majoring in Pre-Speech. 















Taylor Tubbs

Taylor is a Sophomore from Lubbock, TX, that is majroing in Pre-Nursin. In addition to being a Tech Twirler, she is also in the Pre-Nursing Association, some Volunteer Organizations, and does a Student Internship.














Fun Facts About the Tech Line!

Favorite Color: 

  • Laney- Hot Pink
  • Sophie- teal
  • Taylor- Pink

Favorite TV show or Movie: 
  • Laney- Mama Mia
  • Ava- Gilmore Girls
  • Sophie- He’s Just Not that into You
  • Taylor- New Girl

Favorite Food or Drink: 
  • Laney- Mediterranean Food but I love trying new things
  • Ava- Chik Fil-a
  • Sophie- Iced Blondie from 7-Brew
  • Taylor- Iced Chai Latte

Favorite Quote or Life Motto: 

  • Ava - “She believed she could, so she did.” 
  • Sophie - “Don’t live your life based on what other people think of you.”
  • Taylor - “Take life one day at a time.”


When Taylor is not twirling, she loves to... “Spend time with my friends and family.”
Something people might not know about Taryn... “My aunt was a Texas Tech Twirler!”

The best non twirling life skill Aubren has gained from baton twirling is… Self Confidence! “Interviewing and meeting other twirlers at competitions and through college has helped me gain more confidence in myself and helped me realize I don’t need to let what other people think about me affect me. I want people to like me for who I am, and not who I think I should be to fit in.”

The most memorable advice Ava has received from her coach is to... “Treat every practice like a performance, and don’t forget to smile.”

Ava’s advice to future collegiate twirlers or those in the audition process... “Never doubt yourself! Know that all of your hard work will pay off in the long run!”

Laney’s Favorite memory as a baton twirler was… “Spending my first two years as a Texas Tech Twirler alongside my longtime teammate Emma Zuar!”

Aubren’s Funniest memory as a baton twirler was... “When we got Gerard and Susie (little toy people) at nationals and they’re now our good luck charms that made us win at nationals and do our best during halftime each week!”

Sophie’s favorite thing about your University's marching band program... “That we get to travel to some of the away games with the band and get to do other events while we’re away!”

Taylor’s favorite tradition within the band program is… “All of the chants the band does on the march to the stadium on game day!”

Something the whole team is really looking forward to this field season... “We are so excited to travel to New York City to march in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade this year!”


We want to thank Kirby, Laney, Sophie, Ava, Aubren, Taryn, and Taylor for sharing their game day with us, and we can not wait to see them shine in the Macy's Parade! Wreck Em Tech!


We hope you have enjoyed this blog post. We are always looking for great new stories about Texas twirlers. Do you have an idea or some information we could use to help highlight our sport? Contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com and we would love to hear more about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment