Thursday, October 17, 2019

Collegiate Twirler Spotlight - University of Houston

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

Make sure to get your entries in for the 2019 Fall Twirling Festival! Check out the Contest Calendar Series post to learn more about this event. The deadline is Monday, October 21st, and you will not want to miss it!

Last Saturday, if you were following us on Instagram (@twirlingiscatchingtx), you got to see the two awesome twirlers from today’s spotlight, as well as many other great twirlers from around Texas, as they all got the chance to twirl on the field at TDECU Stadium. It was so fun to join them through the day, and even better to watch all the Twirler Day participants experience a Cougar Game!

Today’s Collegiate Twirler Spotlight is on the University of Houston Feature Twirlers!


The University of Houston is the home of the Spirit of Houston Marching Band and the UH Feature Twirlers! The UH Feature Twirlers, led by Coach Jennifer Garrison, are "an elite Team of Baton Twirling Soloists who are integral contributors to the entertainment value of the Spirit of Houston Marching Band". These ladies can be seen rocking it on the field at the TDECU Stadium in Houston. This University has a long-standing reputation for having some great twirlers, and the 2019-202 Feature Twirlers, Jassandra Holbert and Abby Neuman, have done a wonderful job maintaining this tradition for the past few years.

Both Jassandra and Abby came to UH their freshman years and have been returning to the TDECU Stadium each season to continue to represent their University. Being their fourth and third seasons, respectively, we wanted to know what brought them to UH in the first place, and what keeps them here. Jassandra told us that she chose UH for many reasons, including the twirling opportunities. “I chose UH because of the inclusion community, school spirit, amazing school of communications, being in the middle of the 4th largest city, the fantastic performance opportunities through the Spirit of Houston, and the wonderful twirling coach.” Abby had similar reasons, finding the school to be a great mix of education and twirling. “I chose UH because of the opportunities Houston offers as a top medical and research city, the fabulous perks of twirling for the Spirit of Houston, and, after learning more about the school, I felt at home when I visited the campus.”


We asked them what advice they had for High School twirlers hoping to find their home in higher education. Abby told us that she advises keeping an open mind. “Apply everywhere and have an open mind for each school. So many schools are overlooked because they don’t have as big of a reputation, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a great school”.  Jassandra agreed. “Think outside your comfort zone and the Power 5 schools! UH was not on my radar until the very last minute, but it has been the best decision for me! Non-Power 5 universities still have amazing football schools, great performance opportunities, school spirit, and great academics. Find the school that is right for you!”

There have been many moments at the University of Houston where these twirlers get to enjoy the traditions and inside jokes. Jassandra says her favorite tradition is wearing red on Fridays to show school spirit, and Abby loves the school wide practice of rubbing the paws of the Cougar statues around campus for good luck. They also never get tired of the inside jokes they develop together and as a part of the Spirit of Houston. Abby’s favorite inside joke is “Cam’s going to sing us a song! *clap*” and Jassandra's is “Shasta Sugar, Cougar Kiss”. While those don't make a lot of sense to us, we know it is a part of what they love about the UH and the Spirit of Houston Community!

Now that we have learned more about what brought the ladies to UH, let’s learn more about them!

Jassandra Holbert
Competition Level: Advanced/Collegiate
Jassandra is a Senior Organizational & Corporate Communications Major and History Minor from San Diego, California. At UH she is a member of the Sigma Kappa sorority and Residential Advisor at Cougar Place Residence Hall. She has been twirling for 14 years and is coached by Juli Gage and Jennifer Zuber-Garrison. The twirling title she is the proudest of winning was the Intermediate California State X-Strut and Two Baton events. Her favorite competition trick is a double illusion or two baton high low two spin, and her favorite field trick is a toss double leap, catch leap or toss high kick illusion. In baton twirling she has been most inspired by Merri Beth Cox. After College, she hopes to continue her work with Teach for America and help gain equal education for all children in the USA.

Abby Neuman
Competition Level: Advanced
Abby is a Junior Psychology Major and Religious Studies Minor from Cibolo, Texas. At U of H she is a member of the Tree of Life Bible Study and is also a Resident Advisor at Cougar Place Residence Hall. She has been twirling for 13 years as a member of the Twirling Sweet Sensations and is coached by Michele Pangrac, Mary Ann Srulowitz, and Jennifer Zuber-Garrison. The twirling title she is the proudest of winning was the 2016 Intermediate Senior Texas State Pageant. Her favorite competition trick is a horizontal toss left behind back, one spin to the right, catch right hand in to the splits, and her favorite field trick is a toss, leap, forward roll. In baton twirling she has been most inspired by Rachel Reiss. After College, she hopes to do Neuroscience research on diseases and disorders in the brain.



Fun Facts!
Favorite Color – White or Light Pink (Jassandra), Purple (Abby)

Favorite Movie – Mama Mia, “Best Sing-along ever!” (Jassandra), The Greatest Showman and La La Land, “What better songs to sing to?” (Abby)

Favorite Songs – “Make it sweet” by Old Dominion, “Put Your Records On” by Corinne Bailey Ray, or “Stay with You” by John Legend (Jassandra), “Simple” by Florida Georgia Line (Abby)

Favorite Quote...
  • Jassandra – “A girl should be two things: Who and What she wants!”
  • Abby – “Never give up!”
Favorite thing to do on the UH campus...
  • Jassandra – “When its not too hot I love to sit on a bench by the fountains and listen to my favorite songs”
  • Abby – “I love to sit by the Cullen Family Plaza Fountains, sip iced coffee, and read a book…. Usually it’s a textbook, but it is still relaxing”
Favorite thing to do off campus in Houston…
  • Jassandra – “Find the best coffee shops in Houston! I love all types of coffee!”
  • Abby – “Explore the infinite amounts of amazing restaurants Houston has!”
When they are not twirling, they love to…
  • Jassandra – “Drink Coffee and go hiking. I love being outdoors!”
  • Abby – “I think all college students can understand this one… Sleep!”
Something people might not know about them is…
  • Jassandra – “I grew up always being outdoors! I love going to the beach, hiking, camping, or even just going on relaxing walks for no reason! I try to be outside as much as possible!”
  • Abby – “I have four brothers so when I’m not in a sparkly costume, I’m destroying them in video games or climbing trees with them.”



Best Twirling Advice from their Private Lesson coaches…
  • Jassandra – “No matter how bad a routine it was, leave like it was a no drop.”
  • Abby – “Follow through! You are not done with the trick until you’ve caught the baton on your toes!”
Best Twirling Advice from their UH Twirling coach…
  • Jassandra – “Don’t be afraid of the big tricks! Go out there and try everything! Leave it all on the field.”
  • Abby – “Perform so big that the person at the top of the stadium sees YOU amidst the 300 other people on the field.”
Favorite thing about twirling…
  • Jassandra – “Finding such an amazing community to help me grow in to the person I have become, including my private lesson coach Julie Gage. She has become my second mom and a mentor to me. I would not be where I am today without her love, patience, and guidance.”
  • Abby – “I love seeing my friends succeed in school and competition twirling. It inspires me to work harder and it makes me thankful for my superstar friends."

Twirling at UH has given these twirlers many memorable experiences. Abby told us the one that will always stay with her was twirling in the 2017 Astros World Champions Parade. “It was the most exhilarating, wild, and energetic performance I have ever twirled for. Seeing an entire city come together, just a couple months after being devastated by Hurricane Harvey, for a celebration everyone could participate in, was incredibly memorable”. Jassandra has also enjoyed the many opportunities. “There are way too many awesome moments to name just one! I am so grateful and in awe of all the amazing performances that I have been able to do since being at UH. However, one of the highlights will always be my freshman year in 2016 against OU in NRG and beating the Sooners. Never underestimate the Cougars!”


Along with the many amazing experiences, they have also had plenty of fun. We asked them what was the funniest thing they have done while twirling at UH. Jassandra told us about a time when they had to do some quick thinking. “Last year during a halftime performance, I accidentally put down 2 batons, instead of one, on the sidelines and leapt to my next spot. Coach Jennifer had to throw it to me from the sidelines! My family said I played it off very well!” Abby finds her funny moments often have to do with her baton liking her face a little too much. “In January my baton landed on my forehead while doing a high toss double illusion and my baton broke in half! Then, recently, while doing a 4 baton trick, a baton landed on my nose and I had to get stiches! It wasn’t funny in the moment, but it definitely is now!”

Baton twirling has taught these twirlers so much about themselves, and has given them many skills besides just twirling a baton. We asked them what they consider to be the best life skill they have developed through their years of training. Abby told us that her key take away has been balance. “Both mentally and physical, because it has taught me how to juggle being a student, working, community involvement, competitive twirling, and collegiate twirling. All of these skills are transferable to the real world.” While Jassandra agrees that balance is important, she has really grown in the area of time management. “I am an extremely busy person, but I love being as busy as I am! It keeps me motivated, but with growing up and having to practice every day, on top of everything else, twirling taught me the importance of using my time wisely! I will always be thankful for twirling teaching me to “suck it up” (along with my mom), and get everything done!”

Finally, we asked these ladies for their last comments on attending the University of Houston. Jassandra said, “I am so grateful for the University of Houston and the Houston Twirling program for pushing me out of my comfort zone, giving me a great support system, and a second family." Abby appreciates the experiences the University has given her. “Moving from a small town to a big city has been one of the scariest things I’ve done, but I am so thankful for the experiences and opportunities the 4th largest city in the country has to offer!”

We want to thank Jassandra and Abby for all the great advice, and we loved learning more about UH. Good luck on the rest of the season for these UH twirlers, and Go Coogs!


We hope you have enjoyed this blog post. We are always looking for great new stories about Texas twirlers. Do you have an idea or some information we could use to help highlight our sport? Contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com and we would love to hear more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment