Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Collegiate Twirler Spotlight - Lindsey McCormick of the University of Missouri

Hello Texas Twirl Fans! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to kick off this blog and start spreading information about the amazing things going on and the awesome twirlers in the great state of Texas. Thank you to everyone who has supported us and sent us information these past several months. Let’s keep it going!

This week we round out our Collegiate Twirler Spotlight series with a special post. As we mentioned last week, one of the goals of this blog is to educate our younger twirlers on opportunities available to them or experiences they can pursue. Today is the second edition focused on twirlers who chose to go out of state to twirl in college, so that we can learn why they made the decisions they did and any tips on how they manage being far from home. Last week we had the opportunity to learn about three well known twirlers all from outside of Texas that came to a Texas University to twirl.

Now this week, we are going to round out this series by learning more about a Texas Girl who made the hard choice to leave Texas for college and twirl out state. Our final Collegiate Twirler Spotlight of the season is focused on one of the University of Missouri Feature Twirlers – Lindsey McCormick.


Everyone reading this knows that Texas is a great place to live. It has to be a hard decision to leave, but we also know that there are only so many Feature Twirler spots at major universities in Texas, and they aren’t always open or accepting auditions for new twirlers every season. Each year, a new group of High School Seniors has to consider the importance of twirling in deciding which University to attend, and if their school of choice would even have the option available to them.

When it came time for Lindsey to figure out her next step, there were not many open opportunities in Texas, and she didn't really feel a strong connection to the ones that were available. We asked Lindsey about her thought process in making this decision. "I love new experiences and meeting new people, so going out of state seemed like a perfect solution and opportunity for me. I applied to few different schools in different states, (but made the decision to attend) Mizzou! Whenever I toured Mizzou and auditioned, I instantly fell in love, and knew in my heart that it was where I needed to be. I'm so happy with my decision".

For a high school twirler thinking about going out of state, there is so much to consider. Can I twirl? Do I like the campus? How about the academics? We asked Lindsey what was it exactly about Mizzou that helped her solidify her decision. "The twirling opportunity definitely drew me to Mizzou, but most importantly, Mizzou has one of the strongest business programs in the country. Also, if you haven't seen the campus, you should! I always admire how beautiful it is when I'm walking to class. The Columns, Jesse Hall, and Memorial Union remind me of how much I love Mizzou. Whether it's raining, snowing, or sunny, it's breathtaking. It never gets old".

We wanted to know, now 1.5 years of school in, what advice Lindsey would offer to a High School twirler thinking about going out of state. "(It) is an amazing opportunity and a great learning experience. If you are able to go out of state, I would definitely recommend it. Although I miss Texas very much, going to Missouri has taught me so much. People and places may be different outside of our ‘bubble’, but branching out taught me how to be brave and try new things which, in my opinion, is an important part of life".

Going to school out of state hasn’t been without its drawbacks. "Being out of state can be bittersweet. Whenever I am homesick, I have to stick it out and remember to be patient. Most importantly, being out of state taught me how to be independent and strong whenever I miss home! It also made me appreciate home so much more. I really cherish the time I have with my family and friends from Texas".

So we know why Lindsey chose the University of Missouri in the first place, and how she is coping with being away from home, but what is keeping her there? Besides the gorgeous campus and strong academics, she loves the traditions. Her favorite Mizzou tradition involves the school columns (seen pictured below). “Every year, the freshman walk through the columns as a symbol that they are beginning their time at Mizzou. The marching band and twirlers perform, and everyone gets tiger striped ice cream! At the end of each year, the seniors walk through the columns the other direction. This is a symbol that they are leaving Mizzou and entering the world”. Wow! What a meaningful tradition. Did it give you goosebumps too?


Lindsey also really enjoys being a part of the 'Big M of the Midwest'. On top of the many, many hours of practice and the performances, they still get to have a little fun. “At the end of band camp, each section puts together a skit to perform in front of everyone. The judges are the twirlers, drum majors, and band directors. This is so fun because it is a way to reflect on all of the humorous things that happened during band camp. It's also a good way to end the week of hard work!”

Does this sound like an amazing opportunity to you? Lindsey has fantastic *BREAKING NEWS* to share with our blog… The new Mizzou Band Director, Dr. Cooper, just announced that not only will Lindsey and her current Co-Feature, former Junior Miss Majorette of America Simone Esters, be returning to twirl for the 2017-18 season, but the director is also opening auditions for potentially up to TWO additional Feature spots. So exciting!!! Are you heading to college and interested in getting to join Lindsey and Simone on the field next year? Here is your chance! Visit the Marching Mizzou website to request more information.

Now that she has told us why she chose out of state, let’s learn more about Lindsey...

Lindsey McCormick, Sophomore, Competition Level: Advanced/Collegiate
Lindsey is from The Woodlands, Texas, and is a Sophomore majoring in Business Marketing. When Lindsey graduates she plans to move back to Texas and pursue a career related to her major. She says, “Once a Texas girl, always a Texas girl!” Lindsey has been twirling for 14 years and works with Coaches Ashley Pedersen Moss, Ann Nita McDonald, Candy Kimbal and Nancy Apel. The competition title she is the most proud of is earning the 2015 College Miss Majorette of Missouri pageant. Her favorite competition trick is her double leap, catch behind her back into a lay back and her favorite field trick is back neck rolls with the fire baton. “The crowd absolutely loves it!”

As a twirler, Lindsey has been inspired by many outstanding twirlers, but says her biggest inspiration was her 2015-16 Co-Feature at the University of Missouri, Halie Hart. Lindsey tells us, “I joined Halie my freshman year as a Mizzou Feature Twirler and learned quickly that her attention to detail, technique, and showmanship is what made her such a phenomenal twirler. It was an incredible experience to twirl with Halie and I aspire to be just like her!” She also attributes her excellent time management skills to baton twirling. “Knowing how to balance school work with extra-curricular activities and spending time in the gym practicing has been crucial. I know this skill will help me to be successful in my future career!”


Fun Facts!
  • Favorite Color – light pink. "I’ve been a girly girl since day one. My 1st costume was light pink!"
  • Favorite Movie – The Notebook or Legally Blonde. "I know every single line from both"
  • Favorite Singer – Taylor Swift. "There's nothing better than singing along to all of her old-school songs with my friends!"
  • Favorite Quote – "The Lord is the One who will go before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not be afraid or discouraged." -Deuteronomy 31:8 
  • Most Memorable Advice from your Coach – "Do not concentrate on what everyone else is doing, but instead, focus on yourself and be the best that YOU can be!"
When she is not twirling, she loves to…
"Hang out with my sorority sisters! This year, I am living in the sorority house with 80 other girls. It's so much fun having my closest friends right next door! Whether I need help studying, want to watch a movie, or just need someone to talk to, there's always someone there".

Something people might not know about her is…
"I love traveling! I first realized my love for traveling my senior year of high school when I had the opportunity to travel to Peru as a United States Twirling Ambassador. That same year, I was also fortunate to visit Spain, France, and Italy. Traveling to these different countries gave me a huge appreciation for other cultures. Before I graduate, I hope to study abroad in Barcelona".

Any non-Band/Twirl related school organizations?
"I am very involved in my sorority, Gamma Phi Beta. The biggest reason why I chose Gamma Phi Beta is because of the philanthropy, Girl's on the Run. Our mission is to be role models to elementary age girls and set an example for them. We are able to visit them during school, and also cheer them on while they run their races! Our motto is 'Building Strong Girls'. It's a great way to spread knowledge through our own experiences".

Through her 14 years of twirling, Lindsey has made many amazing and fun memories. She says her favorite memory was when she was 10 years old and won the Beginner Miss Majorette of America pageant at AYOP. “This was my first big win, and I felt so rewarded for all of my hard work. I cried tears of joy in the arena because I was so excited. In that moment, I realized how much I truly loved the sport of baton twirling. I still feel the same way today!"

Lindsey say her funniest moment of twirling was from when she was in high school and twirling alongside her older sister. "It was her senior year and my mom was trying to get video footage of her for college auditions. Unfortunately, my sister brought two right-foot cougars to the game. I offered her my left cougar so she could get better twirling footage. I twirled with two right-foot shoes that night!"

Finally, to round out the final edition of the Collegiate Twirler Spotlight for Fall 2016, we had to know what advice Lindsey would like to pass on the future collegiate twirler hopefuls, and she said it was to make sure you keep competing. "Not only does competing continue to sharpen and challenge your skills, but it also teaches you how to perform under pressure in front of all types of audiences. This is super important when twirling in front of 70,000 fans! Though competing can sometimes be hard, anything worth having takes a lot work! Remember, anything is possible when you truly want to achieve your goals! Never give up and always remember to have fun!"

We want to send a big thank you to Lindsey for sharing with us her insight on the different types of decisions twirlers make when it comes to selecting a University. We want to wish Lindsey a ton of luck as she finished out her Sophomore year and we cannot wait to see her on the field next season!

To close out today's post, we also want to send a special shout out and wish of good luck to all those twirlers who are in the middle of their Senior year of High School and are knee deep in college decisions. We know it is not easy, but you will end up where you are meant to be. Trust your heart and reach for the stars!


We hope you have enjoyed the final edition of our Collegiate Twirler Spotlight series. While we are no longer taking nominations for this segment, we are always looking for great new stories about Texas twirlers. Do you have an idea or some information we could use to help highlight our sport? Please contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com, and we would love to hear more about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment