Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Collegiate Twirler Spotlight - the Baylor University Golden Girls

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

Competition season is just around the corner! The entry deadline for the South Plains Twirling Contest in Lleveland, TX is only 7 days away. This is the first contest of the season in Texas. Want to see this season's contest schedule or to download upcoming entry forms, please visit http://www.texastwirl.com/contests.html

Today we move our focus back to our Collegiate Twirlers. Typically we like to make sure each year we interview twirlers that we did not talk with last year, and while we did interview this University last Fall, many of the faces have changed. This week our Collegiate Twirler Spotlight is the Baylor University Golden Girls - Adaline Bebo, Caroline Carothers, Paige Glass, and Jillian Taylor!



While Head Twirler Adaline Bebo has become a well known face at McLane Stadium, the Baylor Golden Girl Twirlers now includes two freshman twirlers, and the return of our very own Miss Texas 2016, Caroline Carothers, fresh off her year of service representing our great State and our sport. Such an exciting combination of twirlers! How did these ladies secure these coveted positions? In order to be a Golden Girl you have to audition for your first two years, but after that, the position is yours as long as you are at Baylor. During these auditions the judges look for the all around abilities of the twirler. Bodywork, big tricks, competition status, showmanship, and multiple baton skills. 

All four of the Golden Girls just cannot stop gushing about what an amazing school Baylor is and what an honor it was to be selected as a Feature Twirler. Knowing that the decision on where to attend college is a important one, we asked them, why Baylor? Jillian told us that she could "go on and on about all the reasons why I came to Baylor. Mainly, Baylor has felt like home to me since the first time I visited my freshman year of high school. The welcoming atmosphere and caring people here are like nothing else. I also fell in love with the band and idea of twirling as a feature and as part of a team". Adaline felt similar. "As soon as I stepped on campus, I knew it was where I needed to be! Our new stadium and facilities are beautiful, but the strong science program and religious affiliation is what really sold me". Paige, being Texas born and raised, and Valedictorian of her High School, had many options of where she could go in Texas, but knows she made the right choice. "In short, this campus truly feels like a home away from home. I love the community of the school, all of the fun campus events, and most importantly, the people!"

As part of their decisions, Adaline and Jillian made the decision to leave their home states of Indiana and California to be a part of Baylor Nation. Adaline tells us that "growing up in Indiana and twirling in the cold for too many years, definitely made my decision to go south easy! The collegiate football and twirling tradition is so rich in Texas!" While Jillian knew she wanted to leave California for a change of scenery, she had never thought about Texas until she found Baylor. "I was really curious as to how I would adapt to Texas. So far so good! I really love the Texan attitude and the Waco spirit!" 



Even though they were all very lucky to be selected to twirl for their first choice University, they wanted to make sure to tell twirlers hoping to twirl in college that they need to, in Jillian's words, "Pick the college first, not the twirling position". Paige's outlook is along the same lines, but about trusting yourself. "Although it is important to prepare yourself to your best ability, do not stress or overthink it. God has a plan and we cannot rush him". By following her own advice Paige ended up luck enough to be "twirling at an amazing university where the twirlers feel more like family than friends". Adaline wholeheartedly agrees and recommends "visiting schools you're interested in, go to the games to get a feel of the environment, and have a good idea what academic route you want to take. Make sure to put the school as a priority (as hard as it may be sometimes)". Adaline did also say if you want to go the Collegiate Twirler route, make sure to "Video everything!" She tells us one of the hardest things for her prior to auditions was "pulling together a quality, consistent, and updated video of my twirling". Paige said the same thing. "Take plenty of videos prior to trying out, and make a killer audition video!". 


We had to know a little more about the transition for these two freshmen coming from High School into such a big name performance experience. Paige told us that she loves game days. "It is such a thrilling experience to twirl for the University I love in front of a packed McLane Stadium. Besides the actual twirling part of gamed ays, the Golden Girls have so much fun hanging out, warming up, and cheering on the bears, so game days are definitely a great experience. I was never really nervous to perform pregame or halftime because I was having so much fun and had such a strong support system in the Golden Girls." We are so happy these two have such a great support base at college, but we had to know what was the biggest challenge. "The largest difference between twirling in high school and college are the expectations," said Paige. "As Golden Girls, we do double illusions and advanced twirl sections pregame, halftime, and postgame. We also twirl to all sides of the field, so we are generally twirling while moving. I loved twirling in high school, but college is definitely a dream".

With all this Baylor love going on, we had to know what their favorite Baylor tradition was, and all four emphatically agreed that it is the Baylor Line. What is the Baylor Line exactly? Well it starts during the summer when for bout 3-4 days the incoming freshman come to the campus for basically a summer camp. The freshmen get a taste of staying in the dorms and the leaders run fun activities like fountain hopping, Line Sing Camp (Jillian's favorite!) and late night milk and cookies. As Jillian tells us, "At the end of the week we all travel to Independence, TX to see the original Baylor campus and receive our line camp jerseys. It is an experience I will never forget filled with people I am still friends with". The Baylor Line doesn't end when school starts either. Paige explained that the freshmen line up hours before the game in their jerseys in order to run across the field during pregame. "They add so much excitement and suspense to pregame festivities". Adaline loves it too! "Its is such a powerful way to kickoff a game! It is totally unique to Baylor and I love being on the field to watch the excitement and chaos". Caroline adds in that it is a "classic" and a memory she will never forget. "I was worried I couldn't run the line like all of my friends because of twirling, but there was nothing more exhilarating than running the 100 yards across the new turf at McLane stadium after performing a 10 minute pregame show!". 


Now that we have learned all about what makes Baylor special to these four ladies, let's learn a little more about them and their twirling history!

Adaline Bebo – Head Twirler
Junior, Competition Level – Elite
Adaline is from Carmel, Indiana and has been twirling for 11 years with coaches Jackie Stewart and Cheryl Wimberly. She is currently a Junior Honors Neuroscience major on the Pre-Law track. The copetition twirling title she is the most proud of is when she won the 2017 International Cup Senior Elite Women’s Artistic Twirl Gold Medal. Her favorite competition trick is either her triple leap forward roll or her monster rolls, and her favorite field trick is elephant rolls, even though she says “front and side aerials always get such a great reaction!” As a twirler she has always looked up to twirler Holly Neilson. “Her style, creativity, and expression with the baton” is what she found most inspiring. Outside of twirling, Adaline is also in the Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, on a Board in Waco that raises money and is organizing the development of an “all-inclusive” playground that can accommodate children with special needs and disabilities, an author for the Fort Worth Portrait Project, and she is a local title holder within the Miss America Organization (Miss Park Cities 2018… Miss Texas Bound!). Once Adaline has completed her undergrad, she plans to attend Law School so that she can become a legal advocate for children with special needs and disabilities.

Caroline Carothers
Junior, Competition Level – Elite/Advanced
Caroline is from San Antonio and has been twirling for 15 years with Coach Patti Mickey. She is currently a Junior Business Management Major with an emphasis in Education. The competition title she is the most proud of winning is the Shane Downey Award, or of course, the title of Miss Texas 2016. Her favorite trick is her catch backhand blind, which you may remember from her awesome Miss Texas winning talent routine. Growing up she was most inspired by twirler Aly Akers. Outside of twirling at Baylor, Caroline is a member of the Chi Omega sorority, a Baylor Ambassador, and she represents the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity as a Pi Kapp Sweetheart. After she graduates, Caroline plans to pursue a Masters Degree in Educational Administration or Higher Education in Student Affairs. She hope to “continue making an impact in the education system in Texas”.




Paige Glass
Freshman, Competition Level – Advanced
Paige is from Gonzales and has been twirling for 8 years, currently with coach Sheri Carter. She is a Freshman Honors Biochemistry Major and is on the pre-med track. The title she is the most proud of winning is the 2017 Miss Majorette of Texas pageant. Her favorite competition tricks are her rolls, and her favorite field trick is three baton because “it is always a crowd pleaser”. She says that from the beginning of her twirling career she was most inspired by twirler Stephanie Lampman. “I still remember being 12 and wishing I could do elbow pops like her, and I absolutely love our old duet videos”. Paige has also been influenced by Golden Girl Head Twirler, Adaline Bebo. “Before I met Adaline, I was amazed by her twirling ability and flexibility, but after competing all summer and twirling at Baylor with her, I have come to know she is also an all-around amazing person and friend who inspires me on a daily basis”. While this semester has been all about grades and twirling, Paige plans to do sorority recruitment in the Spring as well as join the Pre-Med club. After college, Paige plans to attend medical school. 

Jillian Taylor
Freshman, Competition Level – Advanced
Jillian is from Tustin, California and has been twirling for 9 years with coaches Beverly Johnson and Liane Aramaki. She is currently a Freshman Pre-Business Major. The competition title she is the most proud of winning is the Miss Majorette of California pageant. Her favorite competition trick is an end toss layback, catch behind the back into an illusion, or “a classic double illusion”. On the field though she says her go-to is always a toss walkover. In baton twirling, Jillian has been most inspired by her Co-Golden Girl and Baylor Head Twirler, Adaline Bebo. “Along with being such an incredible and beautiful twirler, and the hardest working person I know, she is also an amazing captain, teammate, and of course, friend. She has been my role model years before coming to Baylor and I am constantly amazes at her kindness and thoughtfulness”.  While Jillian is also starting off her freshman year focused on school and twirling, she is excited to join Paige by go through sorority recruitment. After college, she hopes to find a job doing something she is passionate about.


Fun Facts!
Favorite Color =
  • Gold (Jillian)
  • Pink & Sparkle… and Green & Gold “of course” (Adaline)
  • Green & Gold – “I mean how can a person come to Baylor and not fall in love with these colors!” (Paige)
Favorite Movie =
  • “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” (Jillian)
  • “A Few Good Men” and “Sherlock Holmes” (Adaline)
  • “Any rom com. My roomies and I love to have movie days (when we have time) and binge watch them” (Paige)
Favorite Music =
  • Country and Pop (Jillian)
  • “I am a big fan of Adele and I like practicing to Pop mixes” (Adaline)
Favorite Food =
  • Marshmallows & Gummy Bears “I have a huge sweet tooth” (Adaline)
  • CafĂ© Cappuccino for breakfast and the Pokey O’s food truck (Paige)
When they are not twirling they love to…
  • Jillian – “Watch movies with my roommate and go out to eat with friends around Waco”
  • Paige – “I generally am at Moody (the best on-campus library) when I am not twirling because college is just as busy as they say. When I actually get free time, I love to explore Waco with the other Golden Girls and my friends”. 
  • Adaline – “Play with my pet pig, Hammy, and scope out new places around Waco!"

Something most people might not know about them is… 
  • Caroline – “I know the game of football extremely well. My dad always told me growing up that I must know the game if I want to twirl on the college football field. During the games, you’ll typically see me on the sidelines jumping and calling the plays/ fouls before they even happen!!"
  • Jillian – “I am also an advanced level snow skier and have been skiing at Mammoth Mountain back in California since I was 3 years old. 
  • Paige – “My family on my mom’s side is German/Czech, so my grandmother taught me how to make traditional kolaches, cheese rolls, and strudels”. 
  • Adaline – “My eyes are different colors (called Heterochromia) and I wanted to grow up to be a paleontologist when I was little”. 
Favorite Quote...
  • Jillian – “Everything happens for a reason, even if we can’t understand it yet”
  • Paige – “She turned her cant's into cans, and her dreams into plans”
  • Adaline – “Faith not fear”
  • Caroline – “'Adapt, Adjust, and Overcome'. In twirling, there is no perfect scenario- whether the wind is blowing strongly, or you’re performing in a hotel ballroom, so the sport has taught me to be adaptable and flexible in any situation".
Most Memorable Tip from their coach…
  • Jillian – “Twirl for yourself”
  • Paige – “Have fun, kid”
  • Adaline – “I have gained so much wisdom from my wonderful coaches, but Jackie once told me “To go out there and command the judges to see your unique self”. This really stuck with me because it taught me to not question my abilities or training and to not compare myself to anyone else. 
#1 Non-Twirling Life Skill taught by baton twirling…
  • Caroline - Sportsmanship. “I’ve competed for about 15 years, and I couldn’t tell you what I placed in Intermediate 2 baton at nationals 6 years ago. But because of the sportsmanship my mom and my coach taught me, I have friends for a lifetime through the sport and I will always be grateful.”  
  • Jillian – “Always remember why you started something in the first place, and never stop doing the thing you love”
  • Paige – “I think perseverance is one of the most important things we learn as twirlers. By spending hours in the gym learning a single difficult trick, we learn to keep pushing even when things get hard. This skill is becoming very useful as a student in honors classes and on the pre-med program”
  • Adaline – “Besides patience (a lot of it), I’ve learned a lot of resilience. Figuring out how to comeback stronger after an injury or crazy drops in a routine and being willing to take alternative paths in my life when things don’t go as anticipated, it is a skill that I’m grateful for every day”.

Favorite Twirling Moment...
  • Jillian - "Finishing my first no drop routine at my first Miss Majorette competition when I was 12. I didn’t really understand how great it was to do a no drop until that routine helped me qualify for AYOP that first year after tying in pageant".
  • Paige - "Twirling in college has always been my life goal, and it has definitely lived up to expectations so far. My favorite moment of twirling was twirling at my first Baylor game. The excitement of the crowd along with getting to twirl with some of my best friends was something that is unforgettable and makes the many hours of practice in the gym worth it.

  • Adaline - "Walking off the floor after my Artistic Twirl Final this past summer at the International Cup in Croatia and knowing that I had twirled my heart out. When the National Anthem was played as I received my first gold medal, I knew that it was a moment that I’d never forget!"
Funniest Twirling Moment...

  • Caroline - "My freshman year was the grand opening of the brand new McLane stadium for the Bears. As a twirler, we were front and center of the field during most of the pregame show. With so much new choreography ad change, I forgot one little detail… Memorizing the lyrics of the Alma Mater. A camera man decided to film my face, up close and personal, during the performance of the alma mater for about 30 seconds! While I was personally embarrassed, I just smiled BIG so no one would know. After pregame, the band director, Dr. Odajima tapped on my shoulder and said, 'Hey, you should learn the words before the next game!!'"
  • Jillian - "During one of our practices for our Guardians of the Galaxy halftime show a couple of weeks ago, the front line of band members were marching backwards and so I lept through them in a goofy way as if the band was almost giving birth to me. I looked at Adi and all she said was 'That was beautiful!'"
  • Paige & Adaline - "Every practice with these girls is more than just one type of ab workout, so this is a really hard question. Golden girl batons have a weird attraction to the trees surrounding the band field, so one day we were practicing exchanges and to our surprise a baton got stuck in the tree. We all proceeded to throw batons at the poor tree until we hit the baton down, and one baton ended up in a mud puddle. Somehow the tape was completely clean, and we only looked slightly goofy to the band and people passing by". Adaline added in that "We ended up getting the baton down, but not without a few laughs and sideways glances from the band…" 

Before we wrapped things up, we did want to ask one last question to Head Golden Girl, Adaline Bebo. For those who follow her, she had a whirlwind summer competing all over the world. We wanted to know what it was like from going to such a competitive environment back to field twirling at Baylor. "For me, the biggest difference between field twirling and competition is the audience! It’s all about knowing your audience, playing to what you know they like and appreciate, and then making it your own. One thing I know for sure is that both audiences like personality and dislike drops! In competition, I know my routines must have essential components (like rolls, spins, tricks, contact, etc.), but also integrate my own artistic flair/bodywork and complex routine construction. On the field or on stage, the audience likes to see flashy, larger-than-life bodywork and gymnastics that travels, high tosses, simple rolls, and easy-to-follow routines!"

So enjoyable to read the love for their sport and their University just pouring out of the answers from these ladies. Makes me want to go get some Green and Gold and rock the Baylor Bears hand sign. Thank you so much ladies for taking the time to do this interview with us, and we all be cheering for the four of you. Sic Em Bears!!! 


*Photo credit for most of the included photos goes to Michael Carothers. 

We hope you have enjoyed this blog post. We are always looking for great new stories about Texas twirlers. Do you have an idea or some information we could use to help highlight our sport? Contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com and we would love to hear more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment