Friday, June 16, 2017

Miss Texas 2017: Meet the Twirlers - Miss Central Texas

Hello Texas Twirl Fans!

June is getting exciting! The NBTA Texas State list is out, we are all in the final week of practice, twirlers are beginning to pack for the South Texas Camp of Champions, and we are also only 11 days from the start of Miss Texas week! So many amazing twirling moments to come over the next two weeks all being topped off with the Miss Texas finals on July 1st. Make sure to follow the blog for updates on State, pictures, postings, and so much more from all of these great events

In order to make sure the four Texas twirlers competing get the proper level of support from the twirling community, each week leading up to the Miss Texas pageant (June 27th to July 1st) we will be doing an interview with each of the four baton twirlers that will be competing. We want to come together and unite to celebrate and support these four young women as they represent our community and show Texas what twirlers can do!

 This week's Miss Texas twirling representative is the 2017 Miss Central Texas, Ashley Sneed!


Ashley is 18 years old from San Antonio, Texas where she is a sophomore majoring in fashion merchandising and business at the University Incarnate Word. Ashley was also recently named the UIW Feature Twirler for Fall 2017. You may know Ashley from both NBTA and USTA where she holds titles in both organizations. Ashley is coached in NBTA by Tori Mays of the Texas Gems, and in USTA by Lynn Dell Harrell.

Now lets learn a little more about Ashley and how the MAO has helped her launch and support a non-profit close to her heart while also furthering the skills she learned as a baton twirler...

PEOPLE'S CHOICE VOTING IS OPEN! Help support our Texas Twirlers in their mission to get baton twirling to the Miss Texas stage! Top 2 highest "votes" get a guaranteed spot to perform in the finals. Check out the People's Choice voting site to donate. Our twirlers have been doing awesome with at least two steadily holding in the Top 5, but we have to get them to Top 2! You can still vote up until Midnight on June 29th, and then there there is nothing else we can do to help guarantee a twirler makes it in to the finals. Anything helps!!! Support our twirlers at Miss Texas!

Miss Texas Platform: L.I.G.H.T. Love is the Guide to Heal from Tragedy.

Experiencing the loss of my father at early age motivated me to want to create my non-profit L.I.G.H.T. L.I.G.H.T provides peer support to teens and children facing loss of any type. L.I.G.H.T volunteers range in age from 15 to 21 who are survivors of tragedy. As the founder of Light2hope.org, I believe peer-to-peer assistance and support during grief can provide a gateway to healing and love.

Life Motto: "Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" - Audrey Hepburn

Favorite Twirling Titles: 2016-2013, UIL Regional and State Division 1 Rating for Twirling, 2017 Miss Texas Model, 2016 USTA Strut Champion, 2016 NBTA Miss Majorette of Texas 1st Runner up, 2011 NBTA Miss Majorette of the Southwest, 2010 NBTA Miss Majorette of Texas, 2011 NBTA Miss Majorette of the US Virgin Islands, 2016-2013 East Central High School Feature Twirler

Favorite Twirling Experience: I have been able to create life long memories with so many wonderful friends I have made over the years of competing. Having been to AYOP 10 years, I cherish the friendships I have made with twirlers from all over the nation.

What made you pursue competing in the MAO? 
At the age of eleven, I watched Caroline Carothers (the current Miss Texas) win 2011 Miss San Antonio’s Outstanding Teen. After watching the pageant, I knew that I wanted to compete in the MAO.


How would you say Baton Twirling has helped you in your MAO journey? 
Let’s just say a lot! Considering that Baton Twirling has pageantry within the sport makes it so much easier. We are experienced at interview, modeling, talent, and great showmanship. Baton Twirlers are seasoned competitors, so we know how to manage our nerves and have fun throughout pageant week. It’s almost as if the MAO was made for twirlers.

Why did you select your platform? What made it special to you?
 I selected my platform because I lost my dad to a car accident at the age of two. What makes my platform special to me is the fact that it’s something that happened in my life that I still hold very deeply and personally. It has helped shape me into the woman I am today. I can share my message and really connect with other children and teens who have experienced tragedy just like I did.

What has been the most rewarding moment as Miss Central Texas? 
 I love having the opportunity to be a great role model to young girls. It’s so rewarding to give advice and share your experiences with girls who are going through the same thing you did when you were their age. Watching them listen to your story and take your advice is very gratifying.


What has been the hardest part about competing in the MAO pageants?
I’m going to be completely honest here - swimsuit! It’s not normal for a girl to walk around a big stage in a bikini and heels as if no one is watching. I have to admit that I have gained confidence and learned how to focus on health and fitness as a result.

What advice would you have for other twirlers thinking about going the pageant route?
Don’t be afraid to try new things! I know I was a bit nervous when I signed up for my first pageant but I didn’t let that stop me. If you really are interested just ask any of the great titleholders about what the organization is about and what you must do to get prepared to compete. Always having someone else’s perspective can help you decide if MAO is the right opportunity for you.

What is one of your favorite parts about the Miss Texas pageant week? 
It’s always so much fun to get to interact with the precious Lone Star Princesses. The Miss Texas Organization gives girls from the ages of the 5 to 12 the opportunity to learn about the MAO, have a mentor who is a titleholder, and even get to be part of the Miss Texas production. I’m thrilled that my Lone Star Princess for the second year in a row is Jenna Bowen, a fellow twirler who is a member of the Texas Touch of Class.

It has been so wonderful getting to know the four fabulous ladies representing twirling at Miss Texas. We want to thank Ashley for taking a moment to answer our questions and fill us in on her journey. We wish you the best of luck! We know you will do amazing.

We hope you have enjoyed this blog post. We are always looking for great new stories about Texas twirlers. Do you have an idea or some information we could use to help highlight our sport? Contact us at texastwirlcontact@gmail.com and we would love to hear more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment